Tuesday, July 27, 2010

All In a Day's (or Two) Work!

Last month, we had an EXTREMELY high water bill.  We knew we must have a leak, but it has been so hot and dry we couldn't find one anywhere.  About a week or so ago, I happened to be in the yard when the meter reader came.  He called me over and showed me this small red arrow on the meter.  It was slowly going around and around.  He confirmed that there was indeed a  leak.  He also said we had used over 10,000 gallons of water last month, and over 14,000 this month.   Finally, we found the leak.  Reed has patched this line more than once, so this time he decided to replace it completely. So let the fun begin.....

Reed and the Trencher-

Not only did this save LOTS of time, I think he enjoyed this big "toy".



This beautiful magnolia tree seems to be the "root" of the problem.



The trencher couldn't get under the sidewalk, so out come the shovels and hole diggers.  I don't think these were as much fun as the trencher.

Help Arrives

 Caleb comes home from work and class, and he gets to reacquaint himself with manual labor. He is really a great worker.  Reed loves doing things with him, even if it means getting hot and sweaty.
Here he is surveying the problem.
Next, he digs out from underneath the sidewalk.


This digging seemed to take a while.

I think this conversation went something like this, "Can't you find anything useful to do besides taking pictures?"  To this I reply, "No, remember I am blogging now."

Connecting the new pipe.  I thought they were almost finished, but the project continued on the next morning.

Day 2- Laying the Pipe and Filling the Hole
Reed stayed in this position a looong time.....
Almost done!!!!
Reed and Willie finally complete this project!!

 We were only out of water for a short time, but you don't realize how important it is until you don't have it.  It is also great to have such a handy husband that can fix so many things.  I promise we are going to do something really exciting soon.  I don't know what it may be, but I promise to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment