Friday, July 16, 2010

It's Almost Over!


For the past 27 years, I have always dreaded this time of the year.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE summer, but after the 4th of July, the countdown for the start of the school year begins.  I always get back into the flow within a few days after I go back, but it's very difficult to give up my carefree summer days.  I keep reminding myself that I could retire, but I am not sure I am really ready for that.  I am taking it one year at a time.  Anyway, I am going to list a few of things that I will miss the most when school starts back.

1.  Spending extra time with Maddie.  There have been lots of weddings, workshops, showers and things that have allowed us to have lots of time with our sweet girl this summer!  (I might add that we enjoyed seeing her mom and dad more often, too!)

2.  "Helping" Reed.  I am not sure how much help I really am, but I enjoy spending time with him.

3.  Swimming with Cathy and the kids in the afternoons.  We have been doing this for over 20 years, and I thoroughly enjoy it. ( I might need to throw in that I enjoy swimming in the morning and night, too...)

4.  Watering and caring for my flowers.  This tends to go by the wayside when school starts, in spite of my good intentions.

5.  Caleb-Although he is working this summer, he only took one class.  In the fall, it will be back to a full load, so we won't see him near as much!

6.  I have also made pickles and perserves for the first time in several years.  Fun!! (And they taste good, too!)

7.  Caring for my mom is much easier in the summer. 

8.  I simply enjoy being home. (And I always have!)

I will say that I truly love the people I work with, and it will be great to see them again on a daily basis.  I think that is one of the reasons I am holding out on retirement.  I am going to enjoy these next few weeks.  I may even try to sleep past 6:30 one morning.......

A few pictures from the summer-
Maddie-Reed has already told me that I won't be able to see her every weekend when school starts.  I predict a few tears.

Maddie and Lindsey in an early summer visit.


Josh and Maddie

Reed has killed two giant rattlesnakes this summer.  One he killed with a stick and another with a ski. Scary!



He will always be my baby......



Even when he gives me looks like this!

Vinca

One of our ferns
Vinca and a desert rose plant

I have not spent nearly enough time here this summer!!  Notice our prize dog Maybelle.  She deserves a blog post of her own...... She has quite a story.

Strawberry Fig Preserves(Lauri will be so proud of me!! She usually gives me some of hers.)
and Dill Pickles



Blurry-but "Miss" Cathy and I have spent many hours over the past 20 years in the pool.















Some of "Miss" Cathy's kids enjoying popsicles.  She is responsible for many swimmers in Aliceville.


Wow-this summer is flying by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment