Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Love in Action

Christmas, my child, is love in action. ...

I recently came across this quote, and it fits perfectly for this post.  As an educator, I can't really put into words the love I have for my co-workers and students.  It's something we all feel.  After a career that has spanned 29 years, few things surprise me.  However, this week I witnessed one of the greatest blessings I have ever seen.  Our new federal prison "adopted" our students, and presented EVERY SINGLE CHILD with a present. That's well over 300 gifts! The employees each took a child or two and purchased gifts for them.  Did I mention that it was a secret, and the children didn't know anything about this until they were called by grade level into the gym?  Every child was called up individually by name.  It was overwhelming!  One teacher told me today that it was like something you see on TV.  I am so glad to have been able to witness this.  Today as I was going through the pictures, I shed several tears.  While many of our students will go on to have a wonderful Christmas at home, others will more than likely not receive any other gifts.  What a blessing these wonderful people are!  I feel that I truly witnessed the true spirit of Christmas!


These are a the employees that came and participated in handing out gifts.  Many more contributed gifts.

Warden Aducci personally called out the name of every child, as Santa and Mrs. Claus assisted. She was also instrumental in arranging this wonderful event.


 Our faculty members were as excited as the students!



These are just a few of over 300 excited and grateful students!



Merry Christmas!
And if you happen to see an employee of the prison,
please give them a hug for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment