Saturday, November 23, 2013

Don't Judge

 
I have had my Christmas decorations up for several days now.  I love everything about Christmas, and the more time I have to enjoy it the better!  I have had a few "you should wait until after Thanksgiving" comments, but I promise I still love and appreciate the meaning of Thanksgiving (even if we are eating turkey with the table decorated for Christmas). 

On another note, I am going to paraphrase from one of the blogs I enjoy reading.  When you have lost loved ones, they somehow magically, mystically come home to you during the holidays.  The things I have of my grandmother and mother are simply priceless to me, and I spend lots of times enjoying them now during the holidays.

The little red bird ornaments were the last things my grandmother made.


 
I can't remember a Christmas that I didn't decorate my grandparent's tree.  She had made TONS of crocheted ornaments.  They simply  weren't my favorite.  The year before she died, she had placed them in a box and gave them to me shortly after we took the tree down.  I tried to gracefully decline, but she insisted.  Now, they are among my very favorites.


 
She also made this pillow.

 
The year  I was born (which  was a very, very long time ago), my mother and grandmother made several variations of this ornament.  I still have about 20 of them. They are priceless to me.  We also have a similar one that Reed's grandmother made.

 
 
My mother made this Christmas Village.

 
The next 2 ornaments are from Lindsey and Caleb's first Christmas. Time flies!  It seems like yesterday! 

 Aunt Sandra made these for Caleb




Lindsey had a couple of other "First Christmas" ornaments that I can't find.  I am really hoping I have already given them to her.





This tray and a matching pitcher were made by my mom.


 One of my favorite ornaments-I love, love, love being a Nana!



Reed's mom gave us the pretty church!  I "acquired" that tray in a mad "moonlight madness" sale at Gayfer's many years ago.  It may or may not have involved me in a slight tussle with another customer.



And on a totally different note, we were so glad to have this guy home for part of the weekend.  He and his dad are working on some projects for his new apartment.


Things have been slow in the blogging world lately, but it should pick up this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment